Thursday, March 29, 2007

If you don't mind, I need to vent! Let me start by saying that I know how hard it is to be a nurse!.....but I'm having a couple of issues with some of them in the moderate care area. In the I.C.U. we had such friendly and caring nurses for the most part, but in Gavin's new area there are a few that, I think, should not be working with babies and children. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but anyway, some of them are not friendly and don't take the time for the caring part of the job. I believe this is the most important part of a nurse's job, especially when working with children! Some seem annoyed having to comfort a crying baby and when they have to do anything extra. They only have 2 patients in moderate care and do stay mostly busy, but get plenty of help from parents. They seem to forget that the family and patients are going through a very difficult time and have emotional and even normal needs as well! Some get upset when a baby is crying and don't try to comfort them! Last night I called to check on Gavin and the nurse sounded real grumpy and said he's been throwing fits. I asked if she had tried anything and she said no, I don't have time! I asked a few more questions then said that I hoped she'd have a better night. I was upset when I hung up the phone, because I've had this problem with other nurses lately. Normally I would just be worried and not say anything, but I decided to call back a while later to see how it was going. I think this experience has taught me to be more assertive, which I'm happy about. I've alway been very shy and didn't want to 'rock the boat.' When I called she said he was doing better and I asked what she had to do to calm him down. She said nothing, he just finally stopped. So, I told her a few things that could have helped the situation, like pickng him up or putting him in the swing! You know, normal things you do for babies! I reminded her that he is a baby and needs comforting too! I think they forget this sometimes. The funny thing is Michal's mom and I were talking about this sort of thing one day when my sister was visiting. We were talking about ways to help the nurse and make sure that the nurse was O.K. and my sister said, "It's pretty sad that the parents have to comfort and take care of the nurse." I hadn't thought about it this way, but realized that we were more concerned about the nurses' feelings than our's and our child's! Crazy huh?! Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations! I know it's better to do it with friends an family than to take it out on the nurse, but I do think that I will write a kind and informative letter to the staff before we go home, just to put things in perspective and maybe help them see the emotional side of the patient. I do need to say that there are some terrific nurses on this unit and we appreciate them so much! In fact, I try to show it to them whenever I can. By, word or card or treats. I'm baking some cookie bars now to take back with me! I'm leaving this afternoon and bringing Nolan with me. Jacob and Caleb are going to spend the day with Grandma Doty at her work tomorrow! Then, Joel and Jake and Caleb will come to Ann Arbor Saturday to stay through Tuesday. It's spring break for the boys!

Gavin is doing well, despite throwing "fits." I would be throwing a couple too with all that he's gone through! He is off Morphine completely and taking Methadone for withdrawl. He slept great last night! Yea! They are going to do a swallow study on him this week to check for reflux. Michal is having this done today too because he keeps vomiting. So, keep them in your prayers please!

I want to leave you with a verse that was in one of Caleb's birthday cards. He had a great day, by the way, and was telling anyone who would listen yesterday; " I'm 4 years old and my name is Caleb." So proud! "This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24.

Have a great day!

Love, Alicia

No comments: