Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Well, you got me crying again! Thanks for the messages and the words of the song! I'm quite emotional today. I don't want to have to go back to Ann Arbor and leave the boys. I am looking forward to seeing Gavin though. I will be leaving in a couple of hours.:( But, it is well with my soul!:)

Gavin has been hangin' in there while I've been away. He is high on bicarbonate (something to do with ph balance in his metabolic system.) and they are giving him replacements for this. He is also still running a fever at times. More cultures where sent out to see if there is infection, but this has been done numerous times and nothing so far. As far as the surgery is concerned; they are still planning for Friday. The surgery will be to work on his mitral valve. Right now there is too big of a leak, which causes lower oxygenated blood volume to the body. The problem with doing it now is that Gavin's mitral valve is small, deformed and "tissue paper thin." Hopefully Dr. Bove will be able to do enough to get him off the vent and home, but the prospect of additional surgery down the road is most definate. Gavin might need a valve replacement when he and the valve opening are bigger. Right now an artificial valve wouldn't fit in the opening because his heart is small and especially the left side. I think I have summed it all up, hopefully correctly. So, BIG prayers on Friday for Dr. Bove and his team! Also, for Gavin's strength! Make that mine and Joel's too! I'll be there 'alone' and Joel will be working and traveling later in the afternoon. We do not know what time surgery will be yet.

Thankyou for your continued prayers and support!

Love, Alicia

No comments: