Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Down syndrome awareness

October is National Down syndrome awareness month. In honor of this I am going to share with you a website, about a guy named Jon who has Down syndrome, who has really touched my heart! I watched a T.V. show about him last year and it made me so happy! His sister produced the film. It's called, "The Teachings of Jon." It is supposed to be aired again this year throughout the month of October nationwide. This is a show that will touch you, whether or not you have a child with Down syndrome or a child with special needs. I highly recommend it! You can go to http://www.teachingsofjon.com/resources.html to learn more about him and his family. You can even preview the film by clicking on 'news/showtimes', then 'watch trailer here' on the site. Watching this show did give me a sense of sadness. I watched Jon doing all that he COULD do and wondered if Gavin would ever be able to do any of this due to the severity of his stroke and medical problems. I pray that he will be able to do some of these things and look forward to the future God has laid out before us!

Some of the quotes about Jon that I appreciated on this site were: "Jon has an important purpose here...not to learn, but to teach.", "He stirs up what's good in you and when that happens, you grow." His sister that wrote the film says, "I remember asking God a lot, "How come we're so lucky to have Jon?"" This made me smile, because so often Jacob says the same thing about Gavin! This site also has a section that would benefit all families with children with special needs. There is a lot of info under a section called 'resources/links.' Go to this section then click on the Special Child website to find this info.

Watching this film and going to this site has brought me a feeling of hope and happiness. It's so easy to just get caught up in our everyday life. Shows like this one can help us to step back and see how blessed we are. We can also learn something from someone, who many might think has nothing to give to society. I know that I've said this before, but...I have learned so much since having Gavin in my life! I have learned more from having him around than I have learned from any college class that I've had or any sermon I've ever listened to! I am sometimes so amazed by what God has taught me through Gavin!

Thank You God for Gavin! Thank You God for sending us special people who can teach us so much! Thank You for Jon and his family and for the lessons they have to share with others!


"I have chosen you. You have not chose me. This little one is my sign to you. Treasure him." Morris West

"Just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love." Ephesians 1:4

1 comment: