I'm thankful to say that Gavin is finally all better! This cold was a bad one and hung on for quite some time. Now that he is better, I am ready to confess something. I never even took him in to see the doctor! Probably not a great idea, but I was afraid that if I brought him in, they would have admitted him to the hospital. His doctor doesn't take chances with Gavin, due to Gavin's medical history, and I knew that he'd say that he should be hospitalized. Yes, I'm that fearful of having him in the hospital again! Before you judge me, know that I weighed the consequences, and felt that this decision was best for Gavin. We have just about everything needed to care for Gavin at home. We have oxygen, a monitor, a nebulizer, Gavin has a feeding tube(So we could give him extra fluids),...etc. The last time that he was hospitalized these were all the things that they used, so I felt comfortable staying at home. He does not like being in the hospital and I knew that he would get more rest at home, so this is the decision that I made. Thankfully my decision turned out fine in the end.
This illness was a good reminder for us, of how weak Gavin's immune system is and that even a cold can turn into a respiratory disaster for him. We had gotten a little lax over the summer about how careful we were with him. We brought him out more, let people hold him more and didn't make people wash their hands as much as we usually did. Now we are back in 'flu season' territory and we got the message! We have to make sure that we are more careful! This isn't fun, but obviously necessary! So, just be warned, if you are blessed to find yourself around Gavin...Please remember to wash your hands and stay away if you are sick! Thank You!
I'm struggling with whether or not I should take Gavin to school throughout this season. There are so many germs there! Parents are told to keep their child home if they are sick, but when we go there, someone always seems to be coughing or sneezing. Plus, I don't know how often they clean the equipment that is used. I really want to be able to take him. I'm so hopeful that increased therapy could make a difference for him and being around other parents, who 'get it', is good for me too, but I just don't know if it's worth the risk. Gavin has had a couple of colds since we started in September and I don't know if it has anything to do with going to school or not. I realize that we have 3 boys who carry around tons of germs, but they have been taught 'The Rules' and we keep them far away from Gavin if they are sick. It's sad and Caleb doesn't understand it, but that's just the way it is around here! So, I'm still trying to decide what's best for Gavin in this case. What do you think?
And, so life with Gavin continues.....There is a whole lot more responsibility. There are a whole lot more decisions to make. There are a whole lot more doctors appointments, when I have the guts to take him. :) And, there is a lot of work involved, but there sure is a WHOLE LOT MORE LOVE and THANKFULLNESS to GOD as well! I'm so happy our little man is feeling better! Thanks for your prayers!
"Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!" 2 Corinthians 9:15