Friday, October 1, 2010

31 Days of Blogging! - Day 1


Grab This Button



I can't believe that it is October already! Didn't September just arrive?! Time is probably my worst enemy. I know that I would be a much more patient Mom, if time wasn't always against me and my boys! Seriously.....why do the minutes fly by so quickly?! And, why is every single minute of the day so very full?! And, why do my boys have no concept of time, which makes me have to turn into a referee.....blowing the whistle, (aka: yelling at them constantly), to get us ready for anything and everything?! Whew! Anyway, time certainly flies and I can't believe that October is already here!

And, since time flies and it's already October....this means that it is Down syndrome awareness month! It is a month set aside to educate others about Down syndrome. Four years ago, this would have been just another month, but now it's a month with a lot more meaning to me.

The statistics are that 90% of people who find out they are carrying a baby with Down syndrome, end up aborting their baby. This statistic makes me so very sad. I wish that I could talk to each one of these Mommas, before they make this decision, and tell them what a blessing this baby will be to them!

Before Gavin, I might have been sad for someone who was told that the child they are carrying has Down syndrome, but now I would be SO HAPPY for this person! Gavin's life may have been littered with many health issues and heartache. And, he may not be the "typical" Down syndrome child, due to the major stroke that he had. And, our family may have to go through daily struggles, due to the many health issues.....but.....it has ALL been so worth it! I can't even begin to sum up what a blessing Gavin has been to me and our family!

Down syndrome is not a life sentence! It's actually a giver of SO MUCH MORE LIFE!

So, in recognition of this month, I hope to post an update for the next 31 days of October....to share Gavin with all of you and to hopefully share the blessing that he has been to his family! He may have an extra 21st chromosome, but these extra chromosomes have only brought about extra blessings and love to our life!

I absolutely adore every single one of Gavin's extra 21st chromosomes, in every single one of his blessing filled cells! We are so blessed!







"The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and He adds no sorrow with it." Proverbs 10:22

4 comments:

April said...

Oh I love all of his 21 chromosomes too!! xo!

Heather said...

It is that staggering statistic that gets me everytime.90%,and some studies suggest even higher and you know,with the changes in OB/GYN guidelines for pre-screening,it will only go higher.Beyond sad.Simply tragic.

Unknown said...

How could you not love that little face! I look forward to reading the tid bits of information that make Gavin the gift he is. Hope you have a great weekend!

Cammie Heflin said...

Addy is sitting beside me as I read/type this and she just leaned in and kissed Gavin!! I think it's LOVE!