This blog was started on January 15, 2007 by my wonderful sister Amy! (Thanks again Amy!!!) It started out on Carepages, and was started to keep family and friends up to date when Gavin went in for his 1st heart surgery at U of M hospital. We were a couple of hours away from home and this was a way to keep everyone informed. I took it over after a few days and kept it going throughout his hospitalization which lasted 4 1/2 months! (Not the 7-10 days we were told to expect!) I was so thankful to have a way to 'talk' to our family and friends and to get enormous support, love and prayers sent from long distances! Not too long ago I started thinking about why I continue to blog. Sometimes I feel silly doing it since Gavin has remained healthy and out of the hospital for so long. I wondered, "Who would really care to read about our crazy family or about my thoughts on so many things?" I considered stopping because of this. Today I am going to tell you why I didn't.
I decided to continue this blog because:
1) Occasionally I still have a prayer request that can be relayed to so many of you at one time. I have felt so at peace in the past knowing that so many people have prayed for Gavin! So, THANK YOU!
2) I have found this activity to be quite calming for me. It has been a way for me to vent and then walk away feeling so much better after just getting it all out! I'm telling you, if you don't blog or journal, you should!
3) I want to be able to give a 'voice' to Gavin and so many who are unable to speak for themselves.
4) I want to show others that even through times of struggle and uncertainty, there is hope and happiness! I know that others have been through so much more than our family has, but I also know many who, maybe, haven't had to go through something so profound or difficult. I want to share our experience, which has included very difficult days, but lots of great ones too! Not to mention, the grace that we've been shown throughout it all. God has been there with us through everything and we have felt His presence more than I could ever have imagined! We have cried and we have faltered, but God has ALWAYS given us the strength to keep going and to continue to trust in Him! So, I continue this blog to hopefully show others that even though you may have been given a difficult task or time, with God anything is possible! Trust in Him alone!
5) I was reminded of a reason why I continue to do this blog last week. I was having a tough time emotionally and just by typing my feelings out on here, I was given such a gift! So many of you left a comment that helped lift my spirits more than you could know! Some days I feel very lonely raising a child with special needs and your comments give me the boost needed each day! I am seriously in awe of the support God has given me through sending me such wonderful friends on this site! Some who I've known for a long time and some who I have had the privilege of 'meeting' here on this site. It saddens me to know that there are so many families who have children with special needs, but I am thankful for the support that I have received from those who are walking similiar roads! What a blessing this blog and you have been to me! I pray that all of your roads will be blessed by God and that you know how important you are!
So, there you have it! I guess I'll be blogging for awhile! :)
"I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"