Monday, June 21, 2010

A friend waiting for Gavin in Heaven

Three years ago, when Gavin was in the hospital and not doing well at all, my Mom showed me a picture of a precious little girl. She had found the picture in with a bunch of her old photos. It was a picture of a sweet little girl, who had Down syndrome. I fell in love with her angelic face as soon as I saw the picture, but I had forgotten about her until just recently.

Last week I thought about her and I asked my Mom to find the picture of her again. She found it and then told me what she knew of this precious girl.





Are you in love with her as much as I am?! She is so sweet!

And, guess what?! We are related!

I never got the chance to meet my Mom's father, Leonard. He passed away when my Mom was just 16 years old. I always wished that I could have met him. He sounds like he was a very caring and godly man, and I really wish that I had been blessed to know him. I can't wait to meet him one day in heaven!

And now, I am also anxious to meet his sister, in heaven, too! Yep, this little angel that I've been talking about was my Grandpa's sister! I had a Great Aunt who was born with Down syndrome! Which means that Gavin has a Great Great Aunt, who also has DS, like he does! For some reason this makes me very happy! It's probably because I love those who are born with a little something extra!

Ruth is the name of this adorable girl. She lived to be 6 years old and died from Scarlet Fever. I bet she was such a blessing to her family!

I love learning about my ancestors and I especially loved learning about sweet Ruth! I just know that I would have loved her, had I got the chance to meet her! I am proud to be able to call her family! Gavin and I can't wait to meet her some day!


"For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height - to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:14-19

11 comments:

April said...

Wow, what a neat story! That picture is priceless!

Amy said...

She is so cute, it breaks my heart! I like knowing that our ancestors were good and kind to her, despite how negatively (out of fear, I'm sure) some people viewed those with DS back then...seems we come from a long-standing line of people with big hearts. :o)

Heather said...

Absolutely precious little girl.Wonderful story.Beautiful connections,not by mistake.Never by accident.always by God.

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

What a beautiful little girl, and a beautiful story! The photo is so precious, I love her hair. :)

I am so happy to hear that she is related to Gavin. How sweet!

Stephanie said...

Yes I'm crying!!

She is beautiful! And I'm sure she is so proud of her great great nephew.I'm sure she is watching closely!

How wonderful that in that day in age, Ruth was so loved and cared for. I'm sure the family didn't take the easy or suggested road! How blessed she was.

Thanks for sharing this!!

Alicia said...

What a sweet girl! Wonderful picture and story too. What an awesome thing that Gavin has someone, watching down on him from Heaven, who has been where he is. What a blessing!

Unknown said...

What a precious gift to be given to you! And how special for Gavin and you to share. Thanks for sharing the story with us. I can see how greatly this has touched you. How exciting that someday you will be reunited with one more of God's precious angels.

Becky said...

Touching post today and what a treasure to have that photo. Thanks for sharing.

Lacey said...

Wow, look at that picture! I've never seen a picture of a Down syndrome child that old. How cool!

Annette Gysen said...

Very sweet story! Obviously Ruth's family loved her. We do have so much to look forward to in heaven!

Cathy said...

Sooo precious, just like your Gavin!Won't Heaven be a wonderful place! One day we will finally meet!